Exa Corporation seeks an Aerodynamics Application Engineer to perform ground vehicle aerodynamics simulations to validate new methodologies and to support customers and technical account teams in vehicle aerodynamics projects. In this hands-on role you will develop solutions that enable the aerodynamic development and optimization of vehicles for the automotive and heavy vehicle industries world-wide using Exa’s powerful suite of simulation products. You will also have the opportunity to develop multi-disciplinary solutions combining aerodynamics with structural modeling, vehicle dynamics, thermal management, aero-acoustics, and discrete particle modeling simulations. This job will provide high visibility and significant growth potential to the right candidate.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
As an Aerodynamics Application Engineer you will:
- Act as a member of the Ground Transportation Applications Group responsible for performing Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) simulations, validating the latest aerodynamics features in Exa’s PowerFLOW software, developing new technical solutions of interest to the automotive industry, solving challenging fluid dynamic problems, and supporting vehicle development projects.
- Become proficient in the use of Exa’s software and other Computer Aided Engineering (CAE) tools.
- Work with the leading global automotive and heavy vehicle companies and help them solve challenging problems related to aerodynamics.
- Communicate with customers, providing expert technical support for aerodynamics applications. You will also collaborate with members of the group, technical account teams, and the product development teams within the company.
Candidates with experience in fluid-structure interactions, discrete particle and liquid film applications, vehicle dynamics, transient aerodynamics, turbulence, vehicle aerodynamic optimization for fuel economy, or high-performance vehicle aerodynamics are especially encouraged to apply.
You will report to the Senior Director of Aerodynamics Applications and will be based in Burlington, MA. If you are an ambitious team player with keen technical skills and a desire to continue learning new technologies, while working in a fast-paced environment, this may be the place for you.
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerodynamics, Physics or equivalent.
- Strong knowledge of fluid dynamics fundamentals, with 1-5 years experience applying fundamentals to solve practical engineering problems.
- Expertise using commercial CFD and other CAE tools as well as CAD and geometry meshing software.
- UNIX skills, script programming and knowledge of programming languages such as C++, Python and MATLAB.
- Strong English verbal/written communication skills and good presentation skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills and a desire for continuous learning.
- Ability to apply these skills cooperatively in a challenging, fast-paced environment on a team with experienced professionals.
- Availability to travel up to 10%, both domestic and international.
Additional Highly-Desired Skills:
- Experience in aerodynamic applications in automotive or heavy vehicle industry.
- Signal processing for statistical and spectral analysis related to fluid dynamics applications.
- Numerical optimization techniques.
- Multi-disciplinary, multi-physics problem solving, including structural analysis, vehicle dynamics, discrete particle and liquid film modeling, thermal management and aero-acoustics.
- Experimental testing methods.
- Experience using commercial CFD and other CAE tools.
- Additional world languages ability.
For immediate consideration, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title: Aerodynamics Application Engineer in the Subject line.
Exa Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer.